This week has been quite a busy week for me, both in my creative world and outside it! However let's look at what projects I've managed to get done this week!
Last weekend, I felt in the need for a small instant-gratification project. So I got out my beads and threads and made a cute little peyote stitch ring out of 11/0 seed beads. Its a peyote stitch all round that I grafted together at the end.
Following on from doing the ring, I continued doing some beading and made these adorable mini baubles that I'll probably hang from my bonsai tree. They are made by threading an 8/0 sparkling seed bead, a large 10mm coloured pearl and another 8/0 sparkly seed bead onto a ball-head pin; making a wrapped loop to hold them on and then using a jump ring to connect it to an ear wire. They look very effective to me!
Continuing on the nearly Christmas theme, I've also been making my friend an Advent Calendar! Last year, I made myself a fibre advent calendar where I got my husband to randomly assign a section of fibre from two art batts into the month, but I knew what I was getting obviously. My friend and I realised we could make one for each other - so we did! I also had to make her the calendar itself which was so much fun and then get it filled (possibly even more fun!) She has no idea what is in hers just like I have no idea what is in mine - I can't wait to get started!
Due to the fibre Advent Calendar, I realised I needed to empty an appropriate spindle to use, so I've spent a fair amount of this week getting this skein of yarn plied up! Its a basic 2-ply fingering weight yarn (made by plying from both ends of one single). I'm not going to go into all the detail I used to make it as it was part of an experiment to see how two similar braids can be spun differently to make different yarns (and what differences did come up). This will be the contents of a future blog post!
My friend (the same one I made the Advent Calendar for) held a wreath making day this week, ready for December, so I went along and made myself a wreath! It was great fun. We went out for a walk around her local area to collect our greenery and when we got back we started making! I also took some trimmings from my own garden along because I wanted to use some of my own garden in my wreath. I started with a leylendii base (using trimmings from my trees, I took them especially!) and wrapped it in string to bind several bits together and eventually make a nice hoop. I then just used this to add my other greens to - I used some ivy, some berries that might be blue Viburnum berries and some evergreen that looks like yew (taken from a baby plant in my garden that has self-seeded). After adding all of that, I wired in some pine cones and some orange slices and it was ready! (This is it hanging up in my friends house, I forgot to take a picture while it was daylight at our house!)
So I think you'll agree that overall its been a pretty successful crafting week!